sábado, 24 de junio de 2017

Showing Off My Dell XPS Daily Driver! (X Post r/OldPC) gaming computer builder

The Introduction:

This is my Dell XPS 720. It was built in December 2007. It has a slightly seedy history. There was a board (see pics) on the back that allowed for a second power supply, possibly meaning it was run with the side door off all the time for a while. Dell.com says my PC shipped with a Core 2 Extreme QX6800 inside, and somewhere along the line it was downgraded to a Q6600, for unknown reasons. (Though it was likely money, the QX6800 is worth more.) Not shown in the pictures are the previous owner's strange attempt to add 2 Molex connectors to the PSU, removing two of the SATA connectors and soldering on 2 Molex ones. Also not shown well in the pictures (it doesn't show up well) are the deep scratches on the top. It looks like someone put the machine upside-down and slid it across a parking lot.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 65nm @ 2.40GHz 8GB Kingston DDR2 @ 333MHz (4x2GB) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB (Upgrading to a GTX 660 soon!) 240GB SanDisk SSD (Boot drive) 120GB SanDisk SSD (Files drive) 160GB Seagate HDD (Just added this, not sure what I'll use it for yet.) 2x SATA DVD-RW Drives 1x IDE DVD-RW Drive Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound card

This is my main PC. I bought it to replace my OptiPlex 990 (The motherboard was failing, and I really hated how small the case was, so why not change?) and so far, I haven't been disappointed. The aluminium case looks stunning, and the red plastic front (especially with the LEDs set to either red or white) looks especially gorgeous. I think I could spend an entire day staring at this thing.

Planned upgrades for the future:

Video card - Getting an EVGA GTX 660 2GB shipped soon. (I love the 550 Ti, but its performance in Overwatch isn't too great. Playable, but not great.)

CPU - Since this XPS came with a QX6800 originally, (with a factory 3.2GHz overclock!) I'd like to find one and put it in. Would also let me overclock in BIOS, which you were supposed to be able to do with the stock CPU.

Drives - 2x 1TB WD Blue HDDs. (Move all my files from the 120GB SSD to these, run them in RAID 1 for redundancy, and just use the 240GB and 120GB SSDs for games and such)

Power Supply - Not really an upgrade, but I do want to eventually buy a second Dell 1000W PSU and switch it for my current one. The shady wiring is a little much for me.

Cooling - If it'll fit, I think the H2C Cooler from the XPS 720 H2C would run great. It's a ceramic liquid cooler, that should just bolt right on.

Here's the original config for this PC, as well as what it had in 2014!

Here's a video of the XPS LightFX visualization in Windows Media Player.

And here's a video of the XPS 720 starting. Love those lights.

This PC has run 10 years so far, here's hoping for at least 10 more!

submitted by /u/FreonFolf
[link] [comments]

from computers https://www.reddit.com/r/computers/comments/6jbz9w/showing_off_my_dell_xps_daily_driver_x_post_roldpc/
via IFTTT
pc building gaming

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario